Skip to main content

Gay St. Bridge update

For the first time since last summer (at least that I have seen) there is news regarding the plan to replace the Gay Street Bridge. In today's Phoenix, the latest estimates have the bridge slated to come down beginning in August. The project is going to take 2 years to complete so, at the earliest, we're looking at late '09 before its finished.

A couple of highlights from the article

"Total project costs are currently estimated at $13 million. The Federal government will cover 80% of the cost. The remaining 20% will be paid by the state."

"Official detour routes, and truck routes, have been mapped around the Borough using state-owned roads, as PennDOT requires. PennDOT and Borough officials are working on traffic patterns through the Borough. PennDOT is also in contact with Phoenixville Hospital regarding emergency routes."

"Recognizing the volume of traffic that will be placed on the Main Street Bridge through the construction period, consideration is being given to a temporary traffic light on High Street at South Main, and to retiming the light at Main and Bridge Streets to accommodate left hand turns from Main eastbound onto Bridge Street in the morning rush hour, to move traffic along more efficiently."

Source: The Phoenix.

Comments

Jim Jannotti said…
Hi,

I'd like to chat with you about Phxville for a column I write in a local Business to Business mag. You can reach me via email at jvjannotti[at]gmail[dot]com.

Thanks.
Anonymous said…
to see pictures of the bridge comming down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJIuxoY_C0

Popular posts from this blog

Several Local Businesses Closing Up Shop

Over the next couple of months, three local businesses will be closing their doors.

On Saturday, February 16th, Polka Dots will be closing their store at 246 Bridge Street. The shop, a women's clothing boutique, opened nearly two and a half years ago but has recently found business slow.

---
Originally, (owner Susan) Randels said that the store was doing well, but that the momentum could not keep up.

"The things that sold in Paoli didn't sell in Phoenixville," she said, adding that some customers thought that the store was too expensive or the sizing did not go high enough (size 12 being the highest size sold). "We tried everything."

Randels also said that parking was an issue for many of her customers who could either not find spaces or did not feel safe parking behind the store.
---

Polka Dots remains open until the 16th, with hours on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. The phone number is 610-935-5914. Clothing and shoes are bei…

Public meeting to discuss future of Melchiorre Park scheduled for Nov. 29th

On Thursday, November 29th, the Borough is holding a 'brainstorming session' in which plans for Melchiorre Park will be discussed with its park planning consultants. The event will be held at the High School and will begin 7pm.

For those of you who do not know about Melchiorre Park (of which I am included, even though I apparently live across the street from it), it is a 23 acre park located south of High Street on the land between it and French Creek. It appears, based on the drawing on the Borough home page, to be the land that is next to Westridge Village and across the street from the new Northridge Village community.

As part of the meeting, the consultants will 'provide a brief background of the project and present a pre-final master plan for the park'.


Source: Phoenixville Borough Website

Local Business Spotlight: The Fenix

As mentioned a couple of months back, Phoenixville will soon be home to a premium martini and whiskey bar. Named The Fenix, it is owned by the owners of Molly Maguire's and will be located right next door to Molly's at 193 Bridge Stret.

The Fenix hopes to have a soft opening tonight or tomorrow with a grand opening coming in September. I sent an email into General Manager Michael Matarazzo who had this to say regarding the new venture:

---
Opening in September 2008, The Fenix will offer a unique selection of over 15 specialty martinis as well as classic cocktails, fine wines and spirits. An eye-catching menu of delicious food will also be available along with great music and live DJ’s.

The Fenix will create an exciting and varied cocktail party atmosphere every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 4pm. Our guests will enjoy the comfortable lounge for food or a casual after work drink. Later on, they can listen or dance to the best music and DJ’s around or just gather at the sty…