I received the following in an email recently:
In the last week, both the President of the United States (through Serve.gov) and the First Lady (at the White House Garden Harvest Party) have strongly encouraged community gardens as providers of fresh produce to neighbors in need and as engines of creating healthier communities.
Besides planting her own organic garden at the White House, the First Lady has been advocating, when asked, for the preservation of specific community gardens throughout the United States.
With this in mind, the folks at the Community Garden have started a petition that will be sent to Mrs. Obama in the hope that she may be able to step in and help to preserve the garden. If you're interested, here is what you need to do:
- Download the petition here
- Fill in the blanks and save the pdf as your_name.pdf
- Email it to Dorene at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some notes from the email:
- For maximum impact, each person in a family should fill out and submit their own letter. Be sure to add a few words in the bottom text box about what the garden and labyrinth mean to you personally.
- Politicians want to know your name and where you live. If you don’t want to fill out all the blanks, just include your Name, Signature, Zip Code (under Address) and a few words about what the garden and labyrinth mean to you.
- Please forward this letter anywhere you like. The more letters we submit to the First Lady, the more attention we will receive from her office!